My main research focus is in the areas that intersect machine learning, information retrieval, formal representation of knowledge, and automated reasoning with applications in affective computing and cognitive sciences. In this respect, I’m interested in the development of computer systems for mental health and wellbeing.
Also, I have a keen interest in a variety of other scientific challenges and different problems, particularly in astronomy and SETI.
Over the years I have participated in several EU funded research projects and a number of national projects with industry and government. The research projects were concerned with the management of emotion and stress using intelligent computer systems, data mining of EEG time series data, linking of semantic and affective knowledge, and development of affective multimedia databases with tools for multifaceted document retrieval.
Previously, I was a Senior Lecturer in computer science at the Department of Computer Science and Information Technology, Zagreb University of Applied Sciences where I founded the Artificial Intelligence Laboratory.
Before fully joining academia I was employed with domestic and foreign ICT sector companies as a software engineer, project manager, and finally department manager.
I am a reviewer for many respected journals and international conferences, as well as study programs and project proposals for foreign science foundations. Over the years I had the privilege to give several invited lectures, and I enjoy being actively engaged in the popularization of science.
I’m IEEE Senior Member and current Co-Chair of Technology Management Chapter (TEMS) in IEEE Croatia Section. Also, I’m a member of the Scientific Council of the Croatian Mine Action Center – Testing Center for Development and Training d.o.o. (HCR-CTRO) and the Thematic Innovation Council for Health and Quality of Life of the Republic of Croatia.
This site showcases some of the research I’ve done, including my CV and a selection of software tools I have developed and which can be freely downloaded for academic purposes, and also (at a moment, unfortunately, a rather diminutive) blog on scientific topics that spark my curiosity.
Research interests: ontologies, knowledge representation, automated reasoning, machine learning, information retrieval, decision support systems, recommender systems, augmented cognition, affective computing, and the semantic web.
Featured papers (full text):
- Horvat, M., & Jagušt, T. (2020). Emerging opportunities for education in the time of COVID-19: Adaptive e-learning intelligent agent based on assessment of emotion and attention. In 31st Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems (CECIIS 2020).
- Horvat, M. (2020). StimSeqOnt: An ontology for formal description of multimedia stimuli sequences. In 43rd International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2020) (pp. 1378-1383).
- Horvat, M., Jović, A., & Ivošević, D. (2020). Lift Charts-Based Binary Classification in Unsupervised Setting for Concept-Based Retrieval of Emotionally Annotated Images from Affective Multimedia Databases. Information, 11(9), 429.
- Filjar, R., Sklebar, I., & Horvat, M. (2020). A Comparison of Machine Learning-Based Individual Mobility Classification Models Developed on Sensor Readings from Loosely Attached Smartphones. Communications-Scientific letters of the University of Zilina, 22(4), 153-162.
- Fuzul, E. & Horvat, M. (2019). Formal model of student competencies in higher education and required skills in the job market. In 30th Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems (CECIIS 2019) (pp. 43-49).
- Horvat, M., Dobrinić, M., Novosel, M., & Jerčić, P. (2018). Assessing emotional responses induced in virtual reality using a consumer EEG headset: A preliminary report. In 41st International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2018) (pp. 1175-1179).
- Horvat, M. (2017). A Brief Overview of Affective Multimedia Databases. In 28th Central European Conference on Information and Intelligent Systems (CECIIS 2017) (pp. 3-11).
- Dunđer, I., Horvat, M., & Lugović, S. (2017). Exploratory study of words and emotions in tweets of UK startup founders. In Communication Management Forum 2017 (CMF2017).
- Horvat, M., Vuković, M., & Car, Ž. (2016). Evaluation of keyword search in affective multimedia databases. In Transactions on Computational Collective Intelligence XXI (pp. 50-68). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
- Horvat, M., Jednoróg, K., & Marchewka, A. (2016). Clustering of Affective Dimensions in Pictures: An exploratory analysis of the NAPS database. In 39th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2016) (pp. 1496-1501).
- Dunđer, I., Horvat, M., & Lugović, S. (2016). Word occurrences and emotions in social media: Case study on a Twitter corpus. In 2016 39th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2016) (pp. 1284-1287).
- Horvat, M., Kukolja, D., & Ivanec, D. (2015). Retrieval of multimedia stimuli with semantic and emotional cues: Suggestions from a controlled study. In 38th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2015) (pp. 1399-1402).
- Horvat, M., Kukolja, D., & Ivanec, D. (2015). Comparing affective responses to standardized pictures and videos: A study report. In 38th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2015) (pp. 1394-1398).
- Horvat, M., Bogunović, N., & Ćosić, K. (2014). STIMONT: a core ontology for multimedia stimuli description. Multimedia tools and applications, 73(3), 1103-1127.
- Kukolja, D., Popović, S., Horvat, M., Kovač, B., & Ćosić, K. (2014). Comparative analysis of emotion estimation methods based on physiological measurements for real-time applications. International journal of human-computer studies, 72(10-11), 717-727.
- Horvat, M., Popović, S., & Cosić, K. (2013). Multimedia stimuli databases usage patterns: a survey report. In 36th International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2013) (pp. 993-997).
- Horvat, M., Popović, S., & Ćosić, K. (2012). Towards semantic and affective coupling in emotionally annotated databases. In 2012 Proceedings of the 35th International Convention MIPRO (pp. 1003-1008). IEEE.
- Horvat, M., Nakić, A., & Otočan, I. (2012). Impact of technological synchronicity on prospects for CETI. International Journal of Astrobiology, 11(1), 51-59.
- Ćosić, K., Popović, S., Kukolja, D., Horvat, M., & Dropuljić, B. (2010). Physiology-driven adaptive virtual reality stimulation for prevention and treatment of stress related disorders. CyberPsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 13(1), 73-78.
- Horvat, M., Popovic, S., Bogunovic, N., & Cosic, K. (2009). Tagging multimedia stimuli with ontologies. In 32nd International Convention on Information and Communication Technology, Electronics and Microelectronics (MIPRO 2009) (pp. 203-208).
- Horvat, M. (2006). Calculating the probability of detecting radio signals from alien civilizations. International Journal of Astrobiology, 5(2), 143-149.
Selection of student thesis and projects I have supervised:
Affective computing and psychophysiology:
- Development of a heart rate monitor with a webcam based on photoplethysmographic effect
- Client-server system for tagging images with emotional annotations
- Using Microsoft Cognitive Services for emotion recognition with facial expressions
- Comparison of OpenCV and Microsoft Cognitive Services in face recognition
- Application of EMOTIV Epoc+ wireless EEG system in a real-time neurofeedback training
- Development of VR applications in Unreal environment for stimulation of emotions
- Demonstration of an emotion elicitation experiment in fully immersive VR with EEG monitoring
- Evaluating the usefulness of commercial Android Wear smartwatches in continuous heart rate monitoring
- Development of Android mobile and web applications for paced breathing exercises
- Development of Android mobile and web applications for emotion recognition using facial expressions with Visage SDK
- Development of cognitive-bias modification mobile and web applications
Please feel free to contact me regarding research cooperation, project opportunities, and other common professional topics.